MBA, National University, San Diego, California.
BS Business Administration, National University, San Diego, California.
Affiliations, Certifications and Licenses:
- California Community College Instructor Credentials (Business and Industrial Management)
- National Maritime Center Certified Instructor. Certified to teach 25 USCG/STCW95 upper and lower level Maritime courses from AB through 2nd Mate Unlimited.
- Council on Occupational Education, Member of the appeals Committee
- American Council on Education Evaluation Team Member. (Institutional and Military)
- Retained Expert Witness for Licensing, Navigation, Shipping and Marine Training.
- National Kaohsiung Marine University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan ROC Visiting Instructor and committee member of the NKMU joint Distance Learning Project.
- International Symposium on Marine Science and Technology 2009 – Keynote speaker.
- Shanghai Maritime University, Shanghai PRC – Visiting Instructor/lecturer 2009-2011
- International Maritime Lectures Association Symposium 2010-Workshop and Paper presentation.
- Authored/Co-authored 18 marine related professional textbooks used by SCMMTS, MII and other marine training schools in the United States and Asia. 2004-2008, SCMMTS
- Co-authored 3 Marine related Navigation Mathematics text/workbooks 2010. AFH
· Co-authored Maritime English Reading and Writing, China Communications Press; (January 1, 2011)
2004- Present, Vice President (Academic Affairs and Curriculum Development) Maritime Institute Inc. San Diego, CA
Designed and implemented the curriculum for 13 National Maritime Center (NMC) Approved courses. I designed and implemented our NMC approved Distance Learning (online) Program. Instrumental in the National Accreditation of Maritime Institute by the Council on Occupational Education. Developed co-operative Education Programs with Maritime schools in the United States and Asia that has afforded the Maritime Institute both National and International recognition. Developed a relationship with San Diego City Colleges and formed a partnership that lead to a 6.6 million dollar government training contract.
1985 – 2004, CEO Director of Administration, Southern California Merchant Marine Training Services.
Instructors of all SCMMTS‘ NMC approved and license preparation courses. Designed, developed, implemented, and conducted 29 courses in all aspects of Merchant Marine. Taught USCG Approved courses as an Approved Instructor for 17 years. Teaching courses for Master Unlimited Reissuance, Able Seaman, Marlinespike, Survival Craft (OSV), Master 100 and 200 GT original, upgrade and renewal, Rules of the Road, Terrestrial and Coastal Navigation and Celestial navigation. .
Accomplishments with SCMMTS and MII
- First West Coast Private School to conduct NMC approved Radar Courses
- First and the only school in the Nation to conduct NMC approved re-issuance courses for all levels through Unlimited Master and administer U.S. Coast Guard Approved final examination.
- First and only private school on the West Coast with USCG approved Visual Communications course.
- First private school in the nation with marine courses approved for Veterans.
- First school in California to have both a USCG approved fishing vessel safety instructor’s course and shipboard drill coordinators course.
First in California to conduct Master’s 100 GT / 200 GT Near Coastal Issuance course and administer U.S. Coast Guard final examination.
1985 – Present CEO, Nautilus Education Systems, Inc. Designed and implemented Nautilus Radar and Full Bridge Simulators used in 57 Schools in the United States and Asia. Conducted Radar, Rules of the Road and Simulator training for instructors at 23 schools in India and The Philippines.
1979 – 1986 Instructor, National University, St. Louise High school, Chicago City College and Chapman College. Taught courses in Business Administration Department; taught courses in Personnel Management and Accounting, Technical Education Department; taught courses in Media Development, Test Development, Evaluation and Course Curriculum Development and High School Mathematics.. Taught evening courses until 1985, then taught daytime courses until 1986.
1963 – 1985 Senior Chief Quartermaster, US Navy (Retired). Served in various types of US Navy surface ships in the Quartermaster rating; and as a Master Training Specialist, Organization Development Specialist, Assistant Navigator, Staff Navigator, and Staff Navigation Inspector on various staffs and 32 major commands and one year as Navigator/Crew member on-board a 110 GT LCU. Designed, developed and taught safety courses and courses in celestial navigation, piloting, radar observer/plotter and other general navigation subjects. Taught and developed courses in all navigation subjects, management and organizational development, Race relations, Drug and alcohol Education, Leadership and management, Social responsibility and Sexual Harassment training.